Monday, July 08, 2013

Risk worth taking (The Making of Kriskat's Kitchen)


Happy Monday guys!!! (sarcastic), start of a new week (5 days away from weekends…LOL) I have been busy with my vintage online shop in Instagram with the account name: @plumpykurvy. (please….please…please follow the shop guys, especially to my fellow plumpies!!!)
Also, as I have always been mentioning in my two previous posts, I just revived my blog but I promised I will continue blogging as regularly as possible so please do me another favor, follow this blog as well.
Anyway, because of my one-year dormancy (volcano ang peg!) from the blogging world, there are so many things that have transpired in my life (maybe that’s one of the reasons I stopped updating this blog) and I believe now is the time that I blog about it, one by one! Well, so overdue but it is better late than never!
In that one year, i experienced happiness and heartaches. However, I prefer not to talk about heartbreaks. Rather, let's focus on the great things that had happened, one of my successful ventures (with my mom and sister), kriskat's kitchen.

Last year of June, I had spent most of my time making a feasibility (sort of…but not the formal kind) of what business can I invest into. I have always believed that you can’t be rich by being an employee alone and investing in something, aside from your salary, that has the probability to earn, may not be a surefire way to riches but definitely, a smarter decision than depending on just your monthly wage.
But then, there are always risks involve but based on my calculation, with the help of my accounting knowledge, there is a slim chance that we will incur losses. Hence, I decided to venture into a small food business. Actually, I had two options in mind, food (I know how to cook and they say I have a knack for cooking) or fashion boutique but considering the location of our house (where the business will be built) and our target market in our area (which is from class C-E), food business is more likely to boom. The only disadvantage of food business is that it is exhausting and will take most of your time and your energy.
Believe me, everyone is doubting my idea and discouraging us from taking this risk. Even my mom is nervous about it because honestly, we have competitors (as in just across ours) that are already established in the food business for several years of operation. Nevertheless, we have no choice. We need to do this because we are in a brink of bankruptcy that time and if we don’t invest into something that can save us from falling off the edge, we’re done. Despite the risk and discouragements, I still insist on my plan and I bravely loan 150,000 from our office cooperative as starting capital (which I will be paying in two years through salary deduction…whew!) and we used almost everything in this undertaking (Yeah, I am a risk-taker!).  I don’t know if it will work but something inside me is saying “GO!!! YOU WILL NEVER KNOW UNLESS YOU TRY” and here we are on our 7th month!!!!
You can just imagined the anxiety we’ve felt on our first month but GOD is GOOD (all the time…), because happily and fortunately, Kriskat’s (Trivia: Kriskat’s came from the combination of me and my sister’s name, Kristine and Katrina) Kitchen is booming!!!!
Although, I am the one who loaned for this, I am just a co-owner and co-manager of Kriskat’s with my mother (serves as my gift to my mom) and my sister, who entered into the partnership after seeing how the business is doing well. Nonetheless, I still consider this business my “baby” because everything in this business is a fruit of my own mind. I conceptualize the business name and logo.
I created the menu that will fit our target market 
And yes, I also created the facebook page. I decided on the layout of the place, the colors of the walls, the type of menu board,
the plates and utensils to be used, etc. I did almost everything in the conceptualization stage.
Now, it is so fulfilling to realize that you’ve spent every cent in your pocket to enter into a risky business and you thrived all the way up. Moreover, it is more rewarding to know that you worked hard for it. I am still in awe every time I thought of how it all started in my little ambitious brain, of how once upon a time, it was just a dream. Indeed, dreams do come true if you are determined enough to make things happen.
I know this is just a small business but I believe everything starts from small things, right? It may mean nothing for people who were born with a silver spoon on their mouth or can borrow money from their parents for a business venture but for me, middle-class and an average earner, it means a lot! Here are the other pictures of kriskat's:
As of now, we already have an expanded menu...
Some of our bestsellers are lumpiang shanghai (php50.00), tapsilog (php40), honey chili chix rice toppings (php60), taco (php20) and short order of lechong kawali (php70). I hope someday you can visit us. 
I hope and pray that it will continue to flourish so that we can expand within two years.

Dreaming again? Nah…it is not just a dream now, it is a goal!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment