Thursday, March 08, 2012

Can Jessica Sanchez be the very first Filipino to win American Idol?

I personally love reality shows showcasing extraordinary talents. Just seeing the contestants grow from an amateur to a professional makes you feel that you too can make your dreams come true. However, In spite my love for reality shows, I haven't been a follower of "American Idol" despite its huge success all around the world but this season is different.

One contestant really caught my attention....perhaps, it's because of her vocal prowess but aside from that, the fact that she is a FILIPINA excites me because if ever she wins (which is verrrrryyyyyyy possible by the way the competition is going...), she will be the very first filipino to ever get the title. So how thrilling can it get?


I started to notice that she's a filipina in the auditions when she performed "You Make Me Feel (Like a Natural Woman)" by Aretha Franklin. She did great on that one but I thought at that point, "nothing extraordinary..." I mean, don't get me wrong...I've heard many filipinas sing the way she did, that's why!

BUTTTTTT....permit me to change my mind...the Las Vegas audition, when she sang "The Prayer" by Celine Dion, as her final piece on her way to be a part of top 24, quite convinces me that she's not that ordinary as I initially thought of her.. She is not just someone who belts out thinking that the higher the notes, the more chances to qualify. In that song, I felt her heart and her soul...not overly belting it out...just pure soul...and from that day on, I've been a fan. (not super fan but I am looking forward to her every performance)

Jessica Sanchez sings "The Prayer" by Celine Dion

I made some research about her...Jessica Sanchez is a 16-year old filipino-mexican-american petite teen, who, just like most of other aspiring singers, had started their dream of becoming one at an early age. However, I am shocked to know that this is not the first time the world have seen her perform because when she was 11, she had competed in the first season of "America's Got Talent". Obviously, she didn't won the said contest but 5 years had past and those years can go a long way when it comes to voice maturity.

Back to American Idol Season 11, who among the contestants have made the three judges stand from their seats thrice? Yes, thrice, they first gave the talented girl a standing ovation in the group performance in Las Vegas. Second was when she sang "I love You I do" by Jennifer Hudson in the Movie, Dream Girls. This song wins her a sure spot in the Top 13. It's crazy that every time I see her perform, the more confident I am in saying she can be the next American Idol for as long as she will be consistent with her performances in the weeks to come.

She sings "I Love You I Do" by Jennifer Hudson

The third standing ovation happened in the recent episode of American Idol Season 11 where the men sings Stevie Wonder hits and the girls get to sing the songs of the greatest diva of all time, Whitney Houston. I was surprised that she picked "I will always love you", probably, the most popular song of Whitney. At first, I think it's not a good choice, it is the signature song of Whitney and the more popular the song, the more it is prone to criticisms. Luckily, it made a positive impact with the judges considering it the best performance of the night and recognized Jessica, as one of the best voices in the whole competition. Indeed, she is a voice to be reckoned with.

In her performance of the all-time classic, "I Will Always Love You" of Whitney Houston
But as they say, nothing beats the original but being close to the original or at par with it is quite an achievement. What I love in Jessica is that when she performs, you can't feel her nerves at all 'coz she's just so relaxed...the amazing part is, I'm sure she's really nervous but you can't hear it in her performance...she is just so cool..the feeling that every song she sings, she had been singing it her whole life...she is not making her nerves get the best out of her but instead, she's making her nervousness bring out the best in her..

In her "I will always love you" performance, there is no doubt she is the best of the night, however, I just feel that it is rushed, that it is more faster than the natural tempo of the song...and I think this made it less dramatic.. They have cut the amazing parts of the song in the end but nevertheless, the last three notes was divine and flawlesssssssssss!!!!! So two thumbs up to her and I really pray she made it!

I am looking forward to more "standing ovations" from the judges in the weeks to come. I think the time has come for a filipina American Idol. She just have to be consistently good coz in a contest where consistency is the key to success, she has to be better and better than her last performances but never less... GOODLUCK and a shout out to America, please vote for her! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment